Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Comparison of LA Observed over a 3-day period, Oct-10-12


LAObserved, October 12, 2011

Now that I have had the opportunity to see the daily journal for three days in a row, I am getting the hang of it. I did not understand the layout to begin with.

The Front Page (above the fold)

Three columns – in a vertical format –
This blog doesn’t use the splash page well. I don’t see enough information on that page to make me want to go further. I would like to have more navigational clues to be able to pick what I would like to read from the front page first, without wasting time. Many of the navigational clues/tags are actually cross-referenced.

For example, what does an article on “Feds vow to prosecute media that advertise medical pot” have to do with the tab called “A Sense of Place”? I would expect an article about Los Angeles, very specifically, and maybe a historic or cultural perspective from that tab name. The same article appears on the front page and on the welcome page for subsequent tabs, including media, politics and LA Biz.

I found the tabs a little misleading, confusing and difficult. I may be too “old-school” to understand this, which is precisely what this class in general, and this exercise in particular, is about. I hope that it will help me to understand the navigational differences between the print-to-online websites and blog websites. I see a huge difference. The old way is hierarchical; there are sections and within the sections there are logical sub-sections, ie. Sports –football, baseball, horseracing, etc.
This webpage has cross-references beneath the tabs, probably for optimization.

I am unclear, even three days into it, what this website has to do with KCRW. There is a radio show and the host has this website. One of the reasons I may be so clueless is that I don’t listen to KCRW on Monday at 6:44 p.m. Evidently, there is a radio show entitled LA Observed that is hosted by editor Kevin Roderick. There is a bio link on the front page that is long and full of bona fides that explains three-quarters of the way down the page that he has a weekly radio program that earned the Golden Mike Award, entitled LA Observed.

I would rather see the spot entitled “Quick Scan” with all the tabs to one side or at the top – for the front page. At least that way I can get some idea of what is going to be there when I leaf through the website. I can make an informed decision about what I want to read because there are more than tags, there is a short dek-to describe what is in the article.

I am much more comfortable, to my horror, with the old-style newspaper-type of website. I find it easier to get it when there are clear headings, deks and sections. I find it easier to understand when I am not hampered by colloquialisms and hipster language. I love the shortcutting and the creativity, but in the end, most of the time, I spend a fair amount of time trying to look cool while I am deciphering a word grafted together from two other words. (I was also slow to using a mouse – I had worked hard to learn DOS and I didn’t want to admit there was another way.  So things can change.)

In addition, I found that the pages were not all refreshed like a daily. Monday and Tuesday had the same “if you missed it,” articles. Wednesday was better. That may have had something to do with Monday being Columbus Day, I don’t know.

I am still a bit confused. For example there is a big photo today (Wednesday) of “Mark Lacter on business and money.” This is not an attractive or recognizable fellow. I wouldn’t buy a used car from him, I think. The article is entitled, “Universal dumps plan for early video release of ‘Tower Heist’
I don’t know what that is, but I guess it is Universal Studios. I guess that Tower Heist is a movie. I would have to be a media insider to understand what that is about. And for that, there is the Variety and the Reporter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment